Saturday 10 January 2015

Review: La Petite Creperie & Nan Bei Dumplings, Grainger Market, Newcastle upon Tyne


The foodification of The Grainger Market continues apace. Turn your back for just a few weeks and another street-foodish unit has popped up. And, praise be, they're all pretty damn good! If you were so minded you could do a tapas-style tour of the place, taking in freshly shucked oysters, pizza, Turkish mezze, seafood noodles, cupcakes, macarons... and now, crepes and dumplings. This is all a far cry from the market I knew 10 or so years ago, but it's a fine development. Over the past few weeks we tried out the aforementioned La Petite Creperie and Nan Bei Dumplings: let me now tell you about them.


Crepes happening
The cheery Gaulish gents behind La Petite Creperie sound like they're super-busy catering at events here, there and everywhere, as well as running their unit. I like a sweet crepe as much as anyone else - what breed of madman isn't partial to a pancake? - but it was their offer of buckwheat gallettes that caught my eye. One of my French cousins came to stay with us a few years ago and made these Northern French specialities and they were a bloody revelation. The flavour of the buckwheat pancake is hard to describe; deeply savoury and wholesome tasting, that'll have to do. The classic filling of ham, cheese and egg makes for a superb snack/light lunch.

Ham and Emmental Gallette
La Petite Creperie's version was a winner, with salty ham and melting emmental lurking within nicely crisp pancake. A slightly stronger buckwheat flavour in the pancake and some top-rate ham would have have made this perfect. And more cheese. Always more cheese!

Banana and Nutella Crepe
Kasia wasn't leaving without trying out one of the sweet efforts. A nicely made crepe, with a load of banana and nutella is always going to do the job. These are perfectly good savoury and sweet crepes, and a will hit the spot if you fancy one. £3-£4.50ish a pop, depending on what you have on them. 7/10.


While I reckon I can easily turn out pretty solid pancakes/crepes at home, I can't say the same for steamed dim sum style dumplings. Step in Nan Bei. I stood and admired the chopstick dexterity of the proprietor, shaping perfect little dumplings at an impressive rate of knots, while I decided what to order.


Stumped, I asked for a mix-up of 6 steamed dumplings. They took about a minute to arrive. A bunch of condiments - soy, vinegar, garlic, chilli and ginger oils and chopped scallions and coriander are on the counter for you to help yourself to in the interest of pepping up your dumplings. I bunged a bit of all of them on.


Let me tell you, these are the business, plumptious little treats as they are. The dough is toothsome but yielding, and wonderfully slippery; the fillings taste clean, fresh and vibrant. I think the pork and cabbage was best, although the beef one was great too. £3.50 for 6 dumplings just about felt ok, although it's more of a hearty snack than a full lunch. I'm giving them a pass on this as they were delicious, and something quite different to anything else in the market. They've got an interesting sounding selection of teas too. Next time. 8/10.

There you have it; Grainger Market continues to surprise and impress. Now, if they could just sort out some weeknight opening hours that would let me get there at any other time than a Saturday...

La Petite Creperie, Unit 166 Grainger Market.
Twitter
Facebook

Nan Bei, Unit 62 Grainger Market
Twitter
Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be popping into The Grainger Market next time I'm in Newcastle, it looks so different from when I lived in the area! The pancakes look amazing and I would love to try some dim sum, I think I've only had it once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's all change since when I was a student. Or maybe I've got slightly different priorities these days?!

    ReplyDelete

All comments gratefully received. Sorry about the word verification thing, but I've started getting bombed by spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...